Rochester Childfirst Network is a not-for-profit agency dedicated to advancing the quality of early education and care in Western New York, through leadership, advocacy, and innovative direct services to children.
Our vision is that every child grows up safe and strong, able to achieve his or her full potential.
RCN advocates at local, state, and national levels for quality Early Education and Care practices for ALL children.
1857: Incorporated into the Industrial School of Rochester.
1858: Moved to former residence of Mrs. Albert G. Smith at 133 Exchange St.; remained here for nearly 100 years.
1867: Supported by the State Orphan Asylum Fund.
1918: Became one of the original 36 local agencies to receive funds from the newly founded Rochester Community Chest, forerunner of United Way of Greater Rochester.
1924: Vocational training ends and name changed to Rochester Children’s Nursery.
1954: Relocated to four-acre site on South Avenue, building of new facility.
1957: Carriage house on site renovated to add a school-age program.
1968: One story multi-classroom building erected adjoining the former Carriage House which was used as a kindergarten.
1981: Special education program launched.
1982: Family child care support services added as a program.
1991: Family Child Care Satellites of Greater Rochester (FCC-SGR) opens at RCN.
2004: Capital campaign funds expansion with two additional classrooms, a special-education wing and new offices and entrance.
2006: Rochester Children’s Nursery becomes Rochester Childfirst Network.
2007: Celebration of 150th year anniversary.
2008: First Mad Hatter’s Tea Party and Fashion Show.
2009: Nurturing Communities program with Monroe Community College is piloted for young mothers and their babies.
2014: RCN Center City location opens to the public.
2018: Adam Dumka Pavilion at RCN built.
2019: RCN partners with FoodLink to support FCC-SGR providers.
2020: RCN begins offering Teletherapy services.